Assistant Research Professor
Virginia G. Piper Center for Personalized Diagnostics
The Biodesign Institute
Arizona State University
Faculty Page at ASU Biodesign
Doctor of Philosophy, Biological Design
Arizona State University, April 2015
Dissertation: "Ion Flux Regulates Inflammasome Signaling"
Bachelors of Science, Biological Sciences - Genetics, Cell and Developmental Biology
Arizona State University, May 2010
Summa cum laude
Barrett Honors College Thesis: "Automated Confocal Microscopy Assay: Studying Heterogeneity and Toxic Variability in Neoplastic Progression of Barrett's Esophagus Cells"
Virus-derived Immune Modulators
Co-evolution of viruses with their natural hosts invokes an adaptation arms race, where a successful strategy for the virus relies on immune evasion, often targeting key pathways that drive immune activation. Large DNA viruses, such as members of the poxvirus family, are adept at evading the innate immune system via a suite of virulence factors. Furthermore, because viruses are limited in their genomic space, it is common for immune modulating proteins to exhibit multipotent functionality, targeting numerous pathways simultaneously. Translationally, these factors constitute a rich toolbox for developing novel immune modulators.
I work with immune modulators from Myxoma virus, a poxvirus which is pathogenic in European rabbits but not in humans or rodents. Myxomavirus has evolved a highly efficient suite of multipotent immune modulators which target a wide array of pathways involved in immune response. A number of these immune modulators have already proven effective in rodent models of disease as well as in clinical trials in humans.
- Ghosh D, Godeshala S, Nitiyanandan R, Islam MS, Yaron JR, DiCaudo D, Kilbourne J, Rege K (2020). Copper-Eluting Fibers for Enhanced Tissue Sealing and Repair.
ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 12(25), 27951-27960
- Kwiecien JM✝, Zhang L✝, Yaron JR✝, Schutz LN, Kwiecien-Delaney CJ, Awo EA, Burgin M, Dabrowski W, Lucas AR (2020). Local Chitosan-Serpin Injection after Spinal Cord Injury Reduces Inflammatory Damage and Improves Neurologic Function.
Journal of Clinical Medicine. 9(4), 1221 (✝Equal Contributions)
- Yaron JR✝, Zhang L✝, Guo Q, Burgin M, Schutz L, Awo E, Wise L, Krause KL, Ildefonso CJ, Kwiecien JM, Juby M, Rahman MM, Chen H, Moyer RW, Alcami A, McFadden G, Lucas AR (2020). Deriving Immune Modulating Drugs from Viruses - A New Class of Biologics.
Journal of Clinical Medicine. 9(4), 972 (✝Equal Contributions)
- Kwiecien JM, Dabrowski W, Dabrowska-Bouta B, Sulkowski G, Oakden W, Kwiecien-Delaney CJ, Yaron JR, Zhang L, Schutz L, Marzec-Kotarska B, Stanisz GJ, Karis JP, Struzynska L, Lucas AR (2020). Prolonged inflammation leads to ongoing damage after spinal cord injury.
PLoS ONE. 15(3), e0226584 (bioRxiv)
- Yaron JR✝, Ambadapadi S✝, Zhang L, Chavan RN, Tibbetts SA, Keinan S, Varsani A, Maldonado J, Kraberger S, Tafoya AM, Bullard WL, Kilbourne J, Stern-Harbutte A, Krajmalnik-Brown R, Munk BH, Koppang EO, Lim ES, Lucas AR (2020). Immune protection is dependent on the gut microbiome in a lethal mouse gammaherpesviral infection.
Scientific Reports. 10(1), 1-13 (✝Equal Contributions)
- Khatua B, Yaron J, El-Kurdi B, Kostenko S, Papachristou GI, Singh VP. Ringer's lactate prevents early organ failure by providing extracellular calcium.
Journal of Clinical Medicine. 9(1), 263
- Zhang L✝, Yaron JR✝, Tafoya AM, Wallace SE, Kilbourne J, Haydel S, Rege K, McFadden G, Lucas AR (2019). A virus-derived immune modulating SERPIN accelerates wound closure with improved collagen remodeling.
Journal of Clinical Medicine. 8(1626), 1-17 (✝Equal Contributions)
- Yaron JR✝, Chen H✝, Ambadapadi S✝, Zhang L, Tafoya AM, Munk BH, Wakefield D, Fuentes J, Marques BJ, Harripersaud K, Bartee MY, Davids J, Zheng D, Rand K, Dixon L, Moyer R, Clapp W, Lucas AR (2019). Serp-2, a virus-derived apoptosis and inflammasome inhibitor, attenuates liver ischemia-reperfusion injury in mice.
Journal of Inflammation. 16(1), 12 (✝Equal Contributions)
- Yaron JR✝, Kwiecien JM✝, Zhang L✝, Ambadapadi S, Wakefield DN, Clapp WL, Dabrowski W, Burgin M, Munk BH, McFadden G, Chen H, Lucas AR (2019). Modifying the Organ Matrix Pre-Engraftment; A New Transplant Paradigm?
Trends in Molecular Medicine 25(7), 626-639 (✝Equal Contributions)
- Kwiecien JM, Dabrowski W, Marzec-Kotarska B, Kwiecien-Delaney CJ, Yaron JR, Zhang L, Schutz L, Lucas AR (2019). Myxoma virus derived immune modulating proteins, M-T7 and Serp-1, reduce early inflammation after spinal cord injury in the rat model.
Folia Neuropathologica. 57(1), 41-50
- Chen H, Bartee M, Yaron J, Liu L, Zhang L, Zheng D, Hogue I, Bullard W, Tibbetts S, Lucas A (2018). Mouse Gamma Herpesvirus MHV-68 Induces Severe Gastrointestinal (GI) Dilatation in Interferon Gamma Receptor-Deficient Mice (IFNγR−/−) That Is Blocked by Interleukin-10.
Viruses. 10(10), 518
- Kostenko S, Heu CC, Yaron JR, Singh G, Oliveira CD, Muller WJ, Singh VP (2018). c-Src Regulates Cargo Transit via the Golgi in Pancreatic Acinar Cells.
Scientific Reports. 8(1), 11903
- Chen H, Ambadapadi S, Wakefield D, Bartee MY, Yaron JR, Zhang L, Archer-Hartmann SA, Azadi P, Burgin M, Borges C, Zheng D, Ergle K, Muppala V, Morshed S, Rand K, Clapp W, Proudfoot A, Lucas A (2018). Selective Deletion of Heparan Sulfotransferase Enzyme, Ndst1, in Donor Endothelial and Myeloid Precursor Cells Significantly Decreases Acute Allograft Rejection.
Scientific Reports. 8(1), 13433
- Mahon BP, Ambadapadi S, Yaron JR, Lomelino CL, Pinard MA, Keinan S, Kurnikov I, Macaulay C, Zhang L, Reeves W, McFadden G, Tibbetts S, McKenna R, Lucas AR (2018). Crystal Structure of Serp-1, a Myxomavirus-derived Immune Modulating Serpin; Structural Design of Serpin Reactive Center Loop (RCL) Peptides with Improved Therapeutic Function.
Biochemistry. 57(7), 1096-1107
- Al-Ani M✝, Ambadapadi S✝, Yaron JR✝, Zheng D, Fortunel A, Doroton-Guevara M, Liu L, Morshed S, Fricker J, Miles W, McKillop M, Lucas A (2017). Atrial Fibrillation Ablation Increases Inflammation-Chemokine Modulation Suppresses Activation of Leukocytes Isolated after Ablation.
Cardiovascular and Hematologic Disorders: Drug Targets. 17(3), 195-204 (✝Equal Contributions)
- Lucas A, Ambadapadi S, Mahon B, Viswanathan K, Chen H, Liu L, Dai E, Munuswami-Ramanujam G, Kwiecien JM, Yaron JR, Narute PS, McKenna R, Keenan S, Brantly M, McFadden G (2017). The Serpintine Solution.
Journal of Clinical and Experimental Cardiology. 8(1), e150
- Yaron JR, Rao MY, Gangaraju S, Zhang L, Kong X, Su F, Tian Y, Glenn HL, Meldrum DR (2016). The oxindole Syk inhibitor OXSI-2 blocks nigericin-induced inflammasome signaling and pyroptosis independent of potassium efflux.
Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 472(3), 545-550
- Oliveira CD, Patel K, Mishra V, Trivedi RN, Noel P, Singh A, Yaron JR, Singh VP (2016). Characterization and Predictive Value of Near Infrared 2-Deoxyglucose Optical Imaging in Severe Acute Pancreatitis.
PLoS ONE. 11(2), e0149073
- Yaron JR, Gangaraju S, Rao MY, Kong X, Zhang L, Su F, Tian Y, Glenn HL, Meldrum DR (2015). K+ regulates Ca2+ to drive inflammasome signaling: dynamic visualization of ion flux in live cells.
Cell Death and Disease. 6(10), e1954
- Kong X, Su F, Zhang L, Yaron J, Lee F, Shi Z, Tian Y, Meldrum DR (2015). A Highly Selective Mitochondria-Targeting Fluorescent K+ Sensor.
Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 54(41), 12053-12057
- Yaron JR, Ziegler CP, Tran TH, Glenn HL, Meldrum DR (2014). A convenient, optimized pipeline for isolation, fluorescence microscopy and molecular analysis of live single cells.
Biolocal Procedures Online. 16(9)